Thursday, March 17, 2011

Communicating Effectively

Interpretation:

Email/Text
I interpret needing *your* response, because I have a report that is due, but I cannot complete it, without your data/information.
Voice mail/Audio
Seem less important than the text/email message, probably because of a sweet voice that perhaps did not seem as demanding as the email.  I think a phone message is contact, whereas an email is not.  I think speaking it out sounds less important than the text.
Video//Face to Face
Seem to have more urgency than the voice mail/telephone.  The video is sounding more business-like; induced more of a sense of priority.  I interpret her to say that she understands why he probably does not have it, but now that he is out of the meeting she needs the report.
My interpretation of the message changed from needing a response (email/text) to less important (voice mail/audio) to a sense of urgency/priority).  Some factors that influenced how I perceived the message are the tone (sweet against more business like orient), which just does not seem as demanding.  I think a phone message is like contact, whereas an email is not, which would induce more of an urgency I think.  I am thinking the email conveys the true meaning and intent of the message just because it is only text, but written very well.  Unlike the other two communications, the request is made without a visual expression or voice.  Therefore, it is received only as the urgent written request I am assuming.

To sum it up, in accordance to Harold Stolovitch, in this week's learning, live video (face to face) is more formal.  At the same time, oral is considered informal.  Phone (audio) is considered ongoing communication.  That is, as stated, 90% of communication is not in the words.  I think, therefore, the spirit, attitude, and message would be some of the guiding factors in effective email communication.  I think being passive instead of active in communicating could send the wrong intended message.  So I think to say what you mean and mean what you say is a good strategy for communicating to project team members.    

Reference:
Media:  The Art of Effective Communication:  Retrieved from EDUC-6145-1 Project Management in Education and Training EDUC-6145-1 http://mym.cdn.laureate-media.com/2dett4d/Walden/EDUC/6145/03/mm/aoc/index.html


Stolovitch, H (Writer). (2011). Communication with Stakeholders. Retrieved from EDUC-6145-1 Project Management in Education and Training, Walden University.

1 comment:

  1. Rita,

    Thank you. I interpreted it that way, too. I think that no matter how it is said, by voice or by face-to-face, a request for help that mentions something, through no fault of my own, I am late on, and a reminder that my failure is causing someone else problems can be more easily construed as an attempt to manipulate by guilt. It certainly was not the intention in this case but it's almost impossible for someone to leave their own distress out of a similar message, delivered vocally.

    Convoluted sentence. Sorry.

    Anyway, Nathanial mentioned judging the content of the message to its means of delivery. You and he agree when you mentioned "Say what you mean and mean what you say."

    Thank you,

    Good post.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete