Thursday, March 10, 2011

Learning from a Project: Home Improvement - Inside brick painting

After three lengthy rows of inside garage brick painting, I was informed I suppose to have cleaned the surface with of the bricks with a wire brush, washed the bricks with a mixture of water and bleach, and primed the surface of the bricks with a latex primer specifically used for masonry applications, prior to painting.  Issues:  Because of the texture surface of the inside bricks, I had to reapply the paint many times, because the paint would soak into the bricks causing a dull paint look that needed to be refinished.  I think what I would do differently next time is to prepare the rest of the surface definitely with primer, so that the paint would not soak into the bricks.    
The most gratifying satisfaction for me in this project was even though the primer was not put on underneath the paint, I think having the patience to apply the several layers of the paint, buying the appropriate paint and shades, which were of three colors, tapping off the unpainted areas, and putting down floor protection to avoid unnecessary painting areas were sufficient and rewarding at the time.  How would I do things differently?  I would prepare the rest of the surface.  That is, I would definitely use the primer, so that the paint would not soak into the bricks. 
I think a couple of applications of primer would do the trick.  I think if I had planned more before taking on the project, it would have been completed successfully.  For instance, I did not start asking people about the project, until paint issues started to develop.  If there was a magic wand, I think I would change the portion of the inside painted brick without primer.  As most people know, removing paint on bricks is a difficult job.  My feedback participant was very informative, told me what to do and in a step by step process.  He was a painter himself.  The only problem was I had already started incorrectly. 
Determine need analysis:
I think I had bought the appropriate amount of paint, based on room footage measurements.  However, with all the paint I had to use to soak into the bricks, I would have needed more deliverables.  How could I improve the need-feasibility or analysis phase?  I think if all I was working with was my own assessment, I think I should had *tested* the paint on one brick.  This in itself would have alerted me to at least the amount of application (paint) that would have been needed.  Second, the Internet could had told me probably everything I would have needed to successful complete the tasks.        

1 comment:

  1. Hey Rita,
    It seems that we suffered the same fate as it relates to do-it-yourself projects. There were well intended but we lacked the necessary expertise to make the project a complete success. No wonder why SMEs are highly regarded and sought after. Their advice and guidance would have definitely made a major difference in terms of budget and time. So, look at the bright side of things: we learned our lessons.

    ReplyDelete